I received my new MacBook Air 13″ on November 11th. Here are the specifications: MacBook Air 13″ (2010) 1.86 GHz, 4GB memory, 128GB flash storage. Overall, I’m loving the form factor and the quick booting. The screen resolution is fantastic as well.
Upon initial booting, I installed all the Apple updates. I then synced all my MobileMe stuff, and installed Evernote, Chrome, TextMate and the Flash plug-in. Everything worked flawlessly for 5 days and then I had a kernel panic a couple of minutes after waking from sleep. I got the message that told me to hold the power button to force a restart.
After that I got consistent error messages and program crashes when waking from sleep or when quitting applications – iTunes, Mail.app, Flash plug-in, Evernote, and Safari all seemed affected. Even creating a new user account yielded the same results. Tried repairing permissions, resetting SMC, and PRAM, but no change.
I reinstalled the OS last night and so far I haven’t had any problems. Ran memory tests, CPU load test, and GPU load tests and nothing seems to force an error. So, my current thinking is that the originally installed OS had some installation issues from the factory or I have an elusive hardware issue.
I’ll update this post as I have more info to help others who might have the same issue.
Here is the Kernel Panic error report:
Interval Since Last Panic Report: 109815 sec
Panics Since Last Report: 1
Anonymous UUID: D521AC7F-6707-4E01-ACA2-5CF3A008E326
Tue Nov 16 17:17:53 2010
panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2aab55): Kernel trap at 0x0028e026, type 14=page fault, registers:
CR0: 0x80010033, CR2: 0x50c45000, CR3: 0x1422b000, CR4: 0x00000668
EAX: 0x50c45000, EBX: 0x00ff8000, ECX: 0x0fcac984, EDX: 0x0fcac984
CR2: 0x50c45000, EBP: 0x51142728, ESI: 0x00000001, EDI: 0x0fcac984
EFL: 0x00010206, EIP: 0x0028e026, CS: 0x00000008, DS: 0x00000010
Error code: 0x00000000
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
0x51142518 : 0x21b50c (0x5d42fc 0x5114254c 0x223974 0x0)
0x51142568 : 0x2aab55 (0x59616c 0x28e026 0xe 0x596336)
0x51142648 : 0x2a09a8 (0x51142660 0x0 0x51142728 0x28e026)
0x51142658 : 0x28e026 (0xe 0x48 0x10 0x10)
0x51142728 : 0x28e1f4 (0xfcac984 0xff8000 0x1 0x2b19f7)
0x51142788 : 0x28f9a4 (0xfcac984 0xff8000 0x1 0x0)
0x511427f8 : 0x2921d6 (0xfcac984 0xff8000 0x1 0x0)
0x511428a8 : 0x26b9a7 (0x672b6 0x0 0x80980f 0x84b7e4)
0x51142948 : 0x260b60 (0x1284bf9c 0x0 0x0 0x3000)
0x51142a78 : 0x261130 (0x42fb0000 0x0 0x1 0x0)
0x51142ab8 : 0x259ecb (0x1b3bd74 0x42fad000 0x0 0x42fb0000)
0x51142af8 : 0x220342 (0x1b3bd74 0x42fad000 0x20b4 0x577754ac)
0x51142b18 : 0x52e90c (0x42fad000 0x20b4 0x800 0x0)
0x51142b38 : 0x5777fdf5 (0x42fad000 0x20b4 0x140000 0x1)
0x51142b78 : 0x577824ce (0x42c68000 0x51142e58 0x51142e40 0x51142e44)
0x51142bf8 : 0x565148 (0x42c68000 0x10c2896c 0x51142e3c 0x28)
0x51142c38 : 0x56628a (0x5780cda8 0x42c68000 0x10c2896c 0x28)
0x51142c88 : 0x566b0b (0x42c68000 0xb 0x51142cd0 0x0)
0x51142da8 : 0x285bce (0x42c68000 0xb 0x10c28968 0x0)
0x51143e58 : 0x21d8ba (0x10c28940 0x70b05a0 0x1fd618 0x5733)
0x51143e98 : 0x210a3a (0x10c28900 0x0 0x7fdb230 0x8748b20)
0x51143ef8 : 0x216c9d (0x10c28900 0x0 0x0 0x0)
0x51143f78 : 0x295156 (0x809aac8 0x0 0x0 0x0)
0x51143fc8 : 0x2a148d (0x809aac4 0x1 0x10 0x8ea5724)
Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):
BSD process name corresponding to current thread: WindowServer
UPDATE (3/2011): After this issue, there were a couple of Apple updates that seem to have resolved the problem. I’m happy to report that the laptop has been running flawlessly for over 4 months now.